About the Book
Bishop Robert Barron is one of the Catholic Church's premier theologians and author of the influential The Priority of Christ. In this volume, Bishop Barron sets forth a thoroughgoing vision for an evangelical catholic theology that is steeped in the tradition and engaged with the contemporary world. Striking a balance between academic rigor and accessibility, the book covers issues of perennial interest in the twenty-first-century church: who God is, how to rightly worship him, and how his followers engage contemporary culture. Topics include the doctrine of God, Catholic theology, philosophy, liturgy, and evangelizing the culture. This work will be of special interest to readers concerned about the so-called "new atheism."
by Charles J. Chaput, OFM Cap.
Doctrine of God
1. Augustine's Questions: Why the Augustinian Theology of God Matters Today
2. Thomas Aquinas and Why the Atheists Are Right
3. The Metaphysics of Coinherence: A Meditation on the Essence of the Christian Message
4. The Trinity on Display in the Economy of Salvation: An Irenaean Meditation
Theology and Philosophy
5. To See according to the Icon of Jesus Christ: Reflections on the Catholic Intellectual Tradition 63
6. A Tale of Two Cardinals: Avery Dulles's Creative Engagement with the Thought of John Henry Newman 79
7. John Henry Newman among the Postmoderns 95
8. Biblical Interpretation and Theology: A Meditation on Irenaeus, Modernity, and Vatican II 109
Liturgy and Eucharist
9. The Eucharist as the Telos of the Law in the Writings of Thomas Aquinas 131
10. The Liturgical Self: An Exploration of Christian Anthropology in Light of the Liturgy 145
11. The Eucharist: Sacred Banquet, Sacrifice, Real Presence 159 Part 4 A New Evangelization
12. Why Bernard Lonergan Matters for Pastoral People 175
13. Announcing the Lordship of Jesus Christ: The Evangelical Task within Contemporary Culture 185
14. From Correlation to Assimilation: A New Model for the Church Culture Dialogue 203
15. To Evangelize the Culture 217
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
What People Are Saying...
bestselling author and Vatican journalist
"One of the finest Catholic scholars working today in English"
—Charles J Chaput, OFM Cap., Archbishop of Philadelphia
"In recent years, Bishop Barron has emerged as one of the most exciting voices in the Church today."
—Brant Pitre, author of Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist